We asked our librarians for some characters or people from books, film, music, or games that they would like to meet in real life. Here are the answers!
- Talking about art and family with Astrid Magnussen from White Oleander would be a dream!
- I’d love the opportunity to explore life & other things in Portland with Juliet from Juliet Takes A Breath.
- I think Kevin from Power Up & I would have some great conversations. Kevin shares the spotlight with a lot of other characters in this book & I’d love to have some one on one time to learn more about Kevin!
- Getting to ask Pen from Girl Mans Up some questions would make me so happy – I read the character in such a different way than a lot of other people did & it would be amazing to get some clarity on who Pen really is.
- Joan of Arc: A History was a great biography of one of my favorite historical figures & having the opportunity to speak with Joan would be incredible! History has a way of warping the truth & the true story of what happened to Joan is something I’ve always really wanted to know.
- Every character on Steven Universe are such fun and interesting people & I’d love to just hang out with them on the beach during their downtime.
- Makoto Niijima from Persona 5 seems like someone I’d have liked to be friends with in high school. She’s super loyal, caring, & smart, but still has a sense of humor & enjoys having fun.
Other honorable mentions are:
- Dom & Lola from Motor Crush
- Nimona from Nimona
- Both the Holograms & The Misfits (except maybe not Pizzazz…) from Jem and the Holograms
- Jude & Noah from I’ll Give You The Sun
- Pen (a different Pen from the one above!) & her whole crew from Love in the Time of Global Warming
- Cinder & her friends from The Lunar Chronicles
- Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn
- Vivienne & Cassandra from Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Marie Antoinette from Marie Antoinette
I’m a bit paralyzed thinking about meeting Lucy Pevensie or Lyra Belacqua in person. Instead, I’d want to spend time with the authors: coffee or tea with Ann Patchett in her bookstore, Parnassus; a walk through Ulster with poet Nick Laird; a tour of Oxford with Philip Pullman; a chat with David Mitchell, in this universe or another one; and while we’re dreaming, a meal with Ruth Reichl (though I doubt I’d be able to keep up)!
E.B. White – I would like to sit with E.B. White on the steps of his saltwater farm in upstate Maine and just listen…
Frankie Landau-Banks from The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
Vivian Carter and Lucy Hernandez from Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu
Starr Carter from The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Dimple Shah from When Dimple Met Rishi
Amanda Hardy from If I Was Your Girl
Ramona from Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy
They are all strong, independent, interesting girls, many of whom are very different from me, and it would have been so inspiring to know them when I was in my formative years!
- Baz from Carry On (2015) by Rainbow Rowell – he’s a parody of Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter, but he’s also a vampire, and his sass is incredible! He’s also painfully in love with the parody of Harry Potter, called Simon Snow.
- Dan Humphrey from Gossip Girl – The ultimate outsider-insider. Our underestimation of Lonely Boy is unreal. I just rewatched the series, and I’m still REELING. I won’t spoil it, but I have some questions for him!
- Alexander Hamilton from Hamilton: An American Musical – I’m prepping for a teen Hamilton trivia night, and I could use all the help I can get! We’ve certainly built Hamilton up to restructure the narrative, and I’d love to meet him or Lin-Manuel. Either would suffice!
- Cindi Mayweather AKA the Electric Lady AKA Janelle Monáe – Cindi is Janelle’s droid character from the Metropolis, ArchAndroid, and Electric Lady albums. She’s a part of her futuristic space epic from 2719. Janelle’s a boss, so I’m sure Cindi is just as FIERCE. I also just appreciate the continuity of Cindi throughout Janelle’s career. We’ll see what she puts out next!
- Zero and Agatha from The Grand Budapest Hotel – Beyond the fact that the relationship is tied to helping M. Gustave’s escape, their relationship is endearing and honest beyond the scheming.
Who would you most like to meet? Leave your answers in the comments below!