The Fowle-Reed-Wyman-Belcher House may or may not be the very oldest historic house still standing in Arlington – but it most definitely lays claim to the longest name.
This photo of the house can also be viewed online at the Digital Commonwealth repository where the Library’s digitized historic photos and postcards reside.
Considered a Saltbox, the house was built around 1706 [practically in the 1600s] and has gone through changes over the years.
Squaw Sachem, a leader of the Massachuset tribe and original settler of this area early known as Menotomy, lived nearby on lands rising above what is today’s Upper Mystic Lake. She owned a large swath of land – some of which encompassed Charlestown, Arlington, Medford, Malden, and Winchester. – which she later sold.
The Wymans, – an Arlington family well known for their market gardening practice – owned the Fowle-Reed-Wyman-Belcher property for much of the 1800s.
This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Historical files held at Robbins Library
Saltbox and Cape Cod houses by Stanley Schuler