Arlington has issued a Library Card Sign Up Challenge during the month of February to our neighboring communities. Belmont, Lexington, and Somerville have all accepted the Challenge. The library that has the highest percentage increase in new library card registrations in February 2013 compared to February 2012 will be the victor. The prize is a platter of baked goods delivered to the winner from the losing communities’ favorite local bakeries. Additionally, if Arlington doesn’t win, Arlington’s Director of Libraries, Ryan Livergood, will visit the winning library’s storytime dressed as Clifford the Big Red Dog.
Community pride is at stake, and we need your help to win!
Here’s how you can help:
- If you don’t already have a library card, sign up!
- If you have a library card that you haven’t used for awhile, check with us to see if it is still valid…library cards do expire.
- If you can’t find your library card, get a replacement. We are waiving fees for library card replacements during the month of February.
- Tell all your friends, family, and neighbors about the Challenge, and ask them to sign up for a library card if they don’t have one already.
- Don’t just tell the people you know face-to-face, talk about this on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites.
- Have someone take a picture of you with your library card. Share it on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites. Use the hashtag #getcarded. Send these pictures to us at this e-mail address or @RobbinsLib via Twitter. The best photos promoting library card sign ups will win prizes, such as a gift basket from Trader Joe’s!
Local businesses partnering with us to promote the Challenge during the month of February
With help from the Arlington Chamber of Commerce, the Robbins Library is also partnering with 27 local businesses to promote the Challenge, offering library cardholders even more value beyond the vast resources they can access through the Robbins Library or Fox Branch Library. Library cardholders can get discounts on products and services by simply showing their library card at participating businesses during the month of February.
Here is a list of participating businesses and what they are offering library cardholders during the month of February:
Andrina’s Pizza, When you order five or more large pizzas, you pay only $7 for each, plus $1 per topping (new library cards get free large cheese pizza)
Arlington Package Express, 10 percent off copies and/or fax
Artbeat, Free mini sand painting
Balich 5 & 10, $5 off $25 purchase
Big Picture Framing, $25 off custom framing
Book Rack, Free bookmark
Brigham’s, $1 off per ice-cream cone per visit
Computer Cafe, $20 off new installation of award winning anti-virus
Fitness First, Half off one month membership (not $59, $29.50) for first time customers
Hair Say II, For new clients only: 10 percent off services (not products)
Jackson’s Kitchen, Free drink purchase of prepared meal (limit one free drink per visit)
Little Fox Children’s Resale Shop, Free book with $10 purchase
The Meat House, 10 percent off on-site catering or prepared catering
Menotomy Beer and Wine, 10 percent off (wine only, cannot be combined with any other discounts or offers)
Not Your Average Joe’s, Monday-Friday 10 percent off of entire check (excludes alcohol, tax and gratuity)
Quad Cycles, 15 percent off entire store (except sale items)
Regent Theatre, 5 percent off selected February events when presenting library card at box office, no double discounts, subject to availability
Something Sweet Without Wheat, Free cookie
Star Nails, Pedicure/hot stone/warm towels/essential oils: $30 with $5 off
Things We Love, 10 percent off $25 or more
Tom Yum Koong II, Free crab Rangoon or thai rolls with purchase of $35 or more, free Bangkok fried rice or chicken pad thai with purchase of $55 or more
Tony’s All Sport Barber Shop, $3 off haircut (no weekends)
Tweet Tweet Toy Shop, 10 percent off entire store (except Legos), offer cannot be combined
thisorganizedhouse.com, 30 percent off initial three-hour work session for new clients
Watertown Savings Bank, visit Arlington location for offer information
YourArlington.com, YourArlington offers 10 percent off any advertising rate
Za Pizza, 10 percent discount on food for all take out orders and a 10 percent discount on food while dining at Za during lunch, which is Monday-Friday 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.