The library has been a longtime subscriber to Gale’s database Business and Company Resource Center, a helpful source of business information. Recently this database has been overhauled, improved, and renamed Business Insights: Essentials (accessible from our Database page). I just attended a webinar on this new database and here’s my pared-down overview.
You can use this database to:
- Search a specific company to find a profile, company history, financial information, market share reports, SWOT reports, rankings, news, and more.
- Search an industry for overviews, background and current conditions, financial and market information, industry associations, rankings, news, and more.
- Use the Company Finder to build a list of companies meeting certain criteria, such as NAICS codes, geographical region, and revenue. You can download up to 500 results (as compared with 50 results at a time through ReferenceUSA, another of our databases).
- Use Comparison Charts to compare up to 5 companies or industries at a time and view the results in chart or table form.
The new version of the database has an updated look and feel, with easier navigation, but there are also some great new features:
- A citation tool
- Ability to share articles via email, Facebook, Twitter and over 300 other social media platforms
- Email, print, or bookmark your results
- Articles now have an audio component – click “Listen” at the top to hear the article being read, or download it as an mp3 that you can load on your mobile device
- Translate articles into 11 different languages
If you do any sort of business or company research, I encourage you to check out this newly-designed resource. Of course, if you need help with your business research you can always stop by or call the Reference Desk for help at 781-316-3233, or call me directly at 781-316-3217.